This week! Books!
Retention of employees from diverse backgrounds has long been a problem in the publishing industry, and We Need Diverse Books is launching a program to support retention with a community platform and professional development seminars.
The Twitter pitch and mentorship program Pitch Wars has come to an end due to the exhaustion of the volunteer staff. Founder Brenda Drake estimates that 500 authors connected with agents as a result of the program, including Tomi Adeyemi, whose Children of Blood and Bone was one of the biggest YA debut book deals ever.
This week in bestsellers
Here are the top five NY Times bestsellers in a few key categories. (All links are affiliate links):
Adult print and e-book fiction:
- Hook, Line, and Sinker by Tessa Bailey
- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
- The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley
- Verity by Colleen Hoover
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Adult print and e-book nonfiction:
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk
- Red-Handed by Peter Schweizer
- Comedy Comedy Comedy Drama by Bob Odenkirk
- The 1619 Project edited by Nikole Hannah-Jones, Caitlin Roper, Ilena Silverman and Jake Silverstein
- The Beauty of Dusk by Frank Bruni
Young adult hardcover:
- Gallant by V.E. Schwab
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- Loveless by Alice Oseman
- All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Middle grade hardcover:
- New From Here by Kelly Yang
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- The Ice Cream Machine by Adam Rubin
- Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan
This week on the blog
In case you missed them, here are this week’s posts:
Don’t forget that you can nominate your first page and query for a free critique on the blog:
And keep up with the discussion in all the places!
And finally, I think it’s fair to say that both experts and armchair analysts have been caught off guard by what’s happening in Ukraine, and the notion of being a “realist” is bandied about loosely. Adam Tooze recently wrote the most cogent article I’ve read on what being a realist today really means.
Have a great weekend!
Need help with your book? I’m available for manuscript edits, query critiques, and coaching!
For my best advice, check out my online classes (NEW!), my guide to writing a novel and my guide to publishing a book.
And if you like this post: subscribe to my newsletter!
Art: Newport Beach, CA. Follow me on Instagram!