Want to know what literary agents do, how to find a literary agent, how to write a query letter, how to write a synopsis, and how to get your book published?
Check out these posts and read my guide to publishing a book!
Book publishing basics
- How the traditional publishing process works
- What literary agents do
- How authors make money
- Everything you need to know about novel word counts
- How to find an editor prior to submitting
- Book publishing glossary
- Writing and book publishing FAQs
How to find a literary agent
- How to find a literary agent
- How to research a literary agent
- Literary agent etiquette
- How to write a nonfiction book proposal
- How to write a synopsis
- How to interpret rejection letters
- How often to follow up with a literary agent
- How to handle an offer of representation
How to write a query letter
- How to write a query letter
- The basic query template
- The best strategy for sending query letters
- Query Letter Sample #1 – My query letter for Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow, which landed me a literary agent.
- Query Letter Sample #2 – Lisa Brackmann’s query for Rock Paper Tiger
- Query Letter Sample #3 – Emily Conrad’s query for The Boy in the Basement
- Query Letter Sample #4 – Michael Schreiber’s nonfiction query letter
- The key to a good query letter: Summarizing through specificity
- How to handle multiple protagonists in a query letter
- How to personalize a query letter
- How to format a query letter
- How to list your publishing credits in a query letter
- How to come up with good comp titles for your book
- Query letter critiques
How to work with literary agents
- Know your rights as an author
- Exclusives and literary agents
- How to work with a literary agent on edits
- How to make the leap from self-publishing to traditional publishing
- How to know when to leave your agent
- How long does it take to sell a novel?
- Day in the life of an agent
How to navigate the publishing process
- The basic terms of publishing contracts
- Everything writers need to know about book series
- When to submit to publishers without an agent
- What book editors do
- Publishing myth: Editors don’t edit
- Editing vs. Copyediting
- The economics of publishing
Need help with your book? I’m available for manuscript edits, query critiques, and coaching!
For my best advice, check out my guide to writing a novel (now available in audio) and my guide to publishing a book.
And if you like this post: subscribe to my newsletter!
Art: Detail of “The Bookshop of Pieter Meijer Warnars” by Johannes Jelgerhuis